Sunday, October 14, 2012

Why Link Writing with Yoga?



In this guest blog post by Hannah Goodman, she discusses the link between yoga and writing. Read Hannah's blog regularly hereMeet Hannah and join her for her Yoga and Writing class series at Bristol Yoga Studio in October and November.  

Why Link Writing with Yoga?

Writing, like yoga, is a practice.  It requires commitment and discipline. But most importantly, writing involves a willingness to sometimes be uncomfortable, in the prayer and hope that we can break free of what holds us back. When I’m stuck in my writing, I’ll often pause, breathe and stretch, twisting and turning my self until I feel a gentle, soft release. Conversely, if I’m feeling challenged in my yoga practice, I’ll write about the “stuckness” to help push out the gunk that has clogged my mind and body.

In my work as a writing coach and tutor, I use mindfulness techniques I’ve learned in yoga. In my workshops and one-on-one sessions, I share yoga poses and breathing techniques to help writers “let go” so they can discover their authentic voice.

As writers, we have our practice of writing much like a student of yoga has his or her asana practice.  We try to practice daily by journaling, where we can create stories or vent our feelings. Our practice is our own, dictated by what we need in the moment, not by outside forces, but from within. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what we need, but I try to help students with this by helping them access the higher mind and focus on the inner-self. Writing can be the same kind of release as yoga, which allows us to let go of the ego. In doing this, we are better able to express and create, despite, or even alongside, any fear we may feel.

The physical stress on the body from writing—sitting for long periods of time, forward hunched shoulders, sore hands and wrists—can also be countered by a regular yoga practice. Lately, my practice has consisted of a few stretches to open my upper back an chest, and release tension in my lower arms and wrists. A few minutes of stretching and a brief mindfulness meditation, and I’m ready to get to the hard work of writing.


About Hannah
Hannah Goodman, M.Ed, MFA, is a YA author represented by Erzsi Deàk of Hen&ink Literary Studio. Her YA novel, My Sister’s Wedding, won the first place award for The Writer’s Digest International Self-Publishing Contest, 2004, children’s book division. She published the follow-up, My Summer Vacation, in May 2006, which went on to win a bronze IPPY in 2007. The third Maddie book, Fear of Falling was released in the fall of 2009 and was praised by teachers and readers for tackling subjects like homophobia and coming out. She’s published young adult short stories on Amazon’s Shorts, in an anthology entitled Bound Is The Bewitching Lilith, and in the journal Balancing The Tides. She also has written columns for The Jewish Voice & Herald. Her newest endeavor is Sucker Literary Magazine, featuring undiscovered and new YA authors.
A former high school English teacher, she now owns her own small company, The Write Touch, offering a variety of services for clients of all ages–from tutoring across the content areas in writing and reading for elementary through college students to resume writing and career counseling for adults. She assists in the college application process, from SAT prep to writing the college application essay. Additionally, she is a writing coach and consultant to authors and would-be authors. Hannah is a member of the  Editorial Freelancers Association andSCBWI as well as a graduate of Pine Manor College's Solstice Program in Creative Writing. She resides in Bristol, RI with her husband, two daughters, and three cats: Lester, Maisey, and Judy.

No comments:

Post a Comment